100 Travel Sentences in English You Should Know
Are you ready to travel towards your dream destination? Worried about your English skills? Do not worry! In this list, we share some essential travel sentences in English that can help you achieve a hassle-free trip.
Sentences in English for Greeting Others
Before you start a conversation with anyone, you have to greet them first. In English, greetings are a very common way to get someone’s attention. These are the most common greetings:
- How is it going?
- How are you?
- How have you been?
- Hi there!
- Good morning/ afternoon/ evening!
- Good day, mate!
- How are you doing?
To tell native speakers that English is not your first language, you can use the following:
- I’m sorry, I cannot understand.
- I do not understand.
- Please speak slowly.
- English is not my first language.
- I do not speak English very well.
Travel Sentences to Use at the Airport
Firstly, here are some phrases and sentences to use in booking a flight:
- Hello, I would like to book a flight.
- May I please book a flight to [destination]?
- I want to book a flight to [destination].
Next, here are some travel sentences in English used upon checking in:
- Where is the check-in counter for [name of airline]?
- Where can I buy a ticket?
- (If the ticket price is too expensive) Do you have anything cheaper?
- Can you please direct me to Terminal 1?
- How long before I check-in?
- Can you get me into an earlier flight?
- I want to upgrade my ticket to business class, please.
- How much time before my flight should I check-in?
- How much do I have to pay?
- Can I pay by credit card?
- Do you accept credit cards or is it cash basis only?
Finally, here are some phrases and sentences to use for any problems you may encounter while at the airport:
- Is there a shuttle connecting terminals?
- Why was my flight canceled?
- Has my flight been delayed?
- I have a connecting flight.
- What time is the next flight?
- I missed my flight.
- What should I do if I missed my flight?
- How long is the delay?
- Please help me. I cannot find my boarding pass.
- What should I do with my excess baggage?
- How much carry-on luggage am I allowed to bring?
- Is there a public phone here?
- Can you help me find my departure gate?
- Can you point me to the lost-and-found office?
- Where is the currency exchange?
Travel Sentences in English to Use While on the Airplane
Here are some phrases and sentences you can use to speak with flight attendants during a flight:
- Can I get another [item], please?
- Do you know what time we will be landing?
- How is the weather in [destination] right now?
- Could you bring me an [item], please?
- May I have something to eat/drink?
- Are there other meal options?
- Can you help me put my bag in the compartment?
- Is it possible for me to exchange seats with someone?
- My earphones do not seem to work. Can I have another one?
- I need help in filling out this form.
Travel sentences to Use at the Hotel
Once you reach your destination, the first thing you have to do is to check-in at a hotel. That is if you have not booked your stay yet. So, here are some travel sentences in English to use in booking and while staying at a hotel:
- I would like to check-in.
- I would like to book a room.
- What time can I check-in?
- I would like a single room.
- I would like to book [number] rooms, please.
- What time should I check-out?
- Can I have a room with a nice view, please?
- I like a room with a single queen bed.
- I would like a room with two double beds.
- What are your room rates?
- I would like to book a deluxe suite.
- Can I upgrade my room?
- I would like to order room service.
- When is breakfast served?
- I would like to have a wake-up call at [time].
- I am checking out.
Sentences in English to Use in Asking for Directions
Now, once you have settled down in your hotel room it is time to tour the place. One of the things that a tourist must learn is how to ask for directions. With that being said, here are some phrases and sentences to use in asking for directions:
- How do I get to the [destination]?
- Can you point me to the [destination]?
- What is the nearest restaurant?
- How far is it to the [destination]?
- Is this the correct way to [destination]?
- How long will it take to get to [destination] from here?
- I am lost. Can you help me get back to [destination]?
Sentences to Use to Get Around the City
There are many ways of getting around a place. After securing directions to wherever you want to go, you may want to know how to get there. These sentences are used to secure rides to available public transportation:
- Should I take the bus or the train?
- What time will the train to [destination] leave?
- What is the bus schedule?
- Which train should I take to [destination]?
- Which bus should I take to [destination]?
- I want a ticket to [destination].
- Is there a car rental place nearby?
- How much would it cost to rent a car?
If you decide to take a taxi, use these:
- Please take me to [destination].
- I would like to go [destination].
- I need to go to [destination].
Another thing to do during a vacation is to go sightseeing. Usually, people join a tour that would take them to prearranged destinations. Most of the time, a tour would likely take you to the city or town’s most popular spots. However, if you decide to go on a tour on your own, these can help you:
- Do you have these in [your native language]?
- What time do you close today?
- Can you please take a photo of me?
- Do you have guided tours?
Sentences to Use While Dining
Another essential travel activity is dining out. Once you have selected a restaurant, these sentences will help you order your food:
- What is the house specialty?
- (If you cannot decide what to order) Which of these do you suggest I order?
- Could I have the [your order], please?
- I would like a [your order], please.
- Do you have some vegan-friendly options?
- This meal is fantastic!
- Please send my compliments to the chef.
- I ‘m ready to pay now.
These sentences are sure to help you have a wonderful time. Remember, do not forget to say “please” and “thank you” whenever you make a request. Finally, you are all set to take that vacation.
We love to stay connected
Get the latest on learning the English language, travel, entertainment, and leisure.